Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Lack of privacy in Amcal

Recently I visited my local Amcal pharmacy. When I was waiting to pay I noticed a large pile of cards on the country, they were customer loyalty cards with the names of customers printed on them. Also on the top of the pile was a Medicare card. The cards were placed face-down presumably to avoid customers seeing them, but as they were on the counter where customers waited to pay there was nothing to prevent a customer from turning them over or even stealing them.

I brought this to the attention of an Amcal employee who agreed that the medicare card should not have been there (such carelessness is probably illegal) but who thought that a huge pile of customer loyalty cards (which among other things is connected to a database entry with the customer's phone number and postal address) is something that should be left within reach of customers. When I left the store another customer was being served within convenient reach of the card pile (which may have contained more Medicare cards).

If you have a cold then it's OK to go to Amcal to buy your medicine. If you have the clap then you might want to go somewhere else as they don't seem to care much about privacy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was once in a pharmacy which was packed full of customers. The pharmacist shouted out that Mrs X's prescription was ready. Unfortunately for Mrs X, the pharmacist used the name of the product, which was a dead giveaway as to Mrs X's "womanly" condition.

Anonymous said...

In my teen-aged days there was a surfing movie named "Big Wednesday",and your country is famous for surfing-freaks. I used to watch my Laser-Disk on surfing over and over again.
And in that Laser-Disk some surfing-God said that your country is more loose than Hawaii. People are laid back and relaxed.
I was living in southern Iland in my country several years and those districts are relaxed and people are friendly and very nice.
I could now understand why SELinux guys are all from East-Coast...
...no-offense...;)