Wednesday, September 13, 2006

IT companies and toxic waste

Greenpeace has an interesting article about how IT companies rank in toxic waste problems.

Dell rates quite well, I feel happier about my recent purchase of a large Dell TFT monitor now. HP does reasonably well, that's fortunate as the Green party in Victoria has recently purchased a HP server. But next time we discuss such things I will suggest that more consideration be given to Dell servers because of this issue.

Lenovo does really badly, I'm surprised because I would have expected IBM to do reasonably well and I didn't think that Lenovo would make significant changes. From now on I will refrain from purchasing Lenovo products. I will still purchase second-hand IBM products, but nothing under the Lenovo brand until they clean up their act.

Also it's worth noting that computers manufactured with toxic chemicals will outgas some of the chemicals into the local environment (IE your server room, bedroom, or wherever else you have computers). Avoiding the computers manufactured with toxic chemicals is not only good for the environment, but also good for your health!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's just a shame that poweredges are worthless hunks of crap with no decent LOM and the build quality of a 1980s skoda.

etbe said...

What does "LOM" mean?

The PowerEdge machines that I used a few years ago seemed reasonably well designed and manufactured. Everything just worked. When one of the ~15 servers had a CPU failure (probably due to overheating) the Dell support people arrived in good time and performed a speedy repair (better than could be said for some other companies).

Dell desktop machines seem to have a slightly more flimsy construction than HP and IBM. But there's not much difference between them.